Now before you read this list, bear in mind that this year I didn't see the usual ton of movies that I see in a given year. I covet your responses, and will probably adjust my Netflix queue accordingly:
- The Prestige - This goes down as one of the best movies I've ever seen. If you like a plot that twists and turns and leaves you thinking about it on the way home, this is the film for you.
- Invincible - I wish the Hollywood studios that are cranking out drivel like Da Vinci Code trying to appeal to "faith-based" audiences would make more films like this. Invincible is fun and uplifting.
- Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby - While not exactly Ferrell's best, anything he puts out is going to be the funniest movie of the year.
- The Pursuit of Happyness - A gut-wrenching and agonizing biopic about a young man trying to better his life while keeping his head above water. This is probably the most compelling onscreen portrayal of the 'working poor' that I've ever seen.
- V for Vendetta - If you, like I, are into dark and subversive films like Fight Club, see this yesterday.
Some other great films from last year: Over the Hedge (Steve Carell), Facing the Giants (I know the filmmakers), Glory Road, Jet Li's Fearless (beautiful cinematography!), Cars (my daughter's favorite movie).