Come one, come all. Hop on the Georgia Tech bandwagon, coming to a town near you. They've taken care of 4 of the 6 games they would need to win the championship. And it's almost as if nobody's told them they're not supposed to go this far.
Here are a couple of tips so your cover won't get blown at the water cooler:
- This may come as a surprise, but Bobby Cremins isn't the coach at Tech anymore. Nope. He resigned a few years ago. They are now coached by an incredible guy name Paul Hewitt, who's been getting an awful lot of attention this week. I hope he doesn't go "ramblin'"
- Yes, Mark Price went to Georgia Tech. As did John Salley. And Stephon Marbury. If you want to really look like you know your stuff, start up a conversation about how current guard Jarrett Jack stacks up against the likes of Marbury. But don't talk about Mark Price too much. That's a dead giveaway. You're trying to lay low here.
- Yes, they like to sing the fight song at Georgia Tech, so you might want to brush up on the lyrics. Check that - I don't think 75% of the fans know all the words to "Ramblin' Wreck". Just mumble along about being an engineer, and a helluva good one. Oh, yeah, and yell "To Hell With Georgia" at the appropriate time. (And it's OK that you're not an engineer. Most of the students who actually have time to attend a game are management students anyway.)
- There's another song called "White and Gold" that has lyrics, too. DON'T sing this one. You WILL get stares. Trust me on this one. Remember, you're just trying to blend in.
- Lastly, and this is perhaps the most important one. NEVER say anything about UGA, good or bad. You will start a fight. Again, just say "to hell with Georgia" when necessary and you'll do just fine. You might get by making a joke about Georgia losing in the NIT, but things will inevitably lead to the UGA basketball game, and then the UGA football game. and that is bad news my friend. Just toe the yellow and black line (it's actually old gold and white, but you'll get stares if you bring that one up, too), and you're good to go.
I hope this helps. I also hope my Jackets can get past OK State. We'll find out come Saturday, won't we?